What is Big Horn National Youth Leadership Training?
National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) is an exciting, action-packed program designed for councils to provide youth members with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home units and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others.
The Big Horn NYLT Course is leadership training experience sponsored by the Denver Area Council and held annually at Tahosa Alpine Base near Ward, Colorado. The training is conducted by highly qualified youth staff under the supervision of adult advisors.
The course models a month in the life of a unit. The training consists of six days of Scout activities culminating in an overnight outpost camp.
For more information please contact or email Collette Kinnard, 303.570.9372 or Bill Van Horne, 303.870.4375.
Scouts who have completed an NYLT course and adult Scouters are able and welcome to apply to serve on the 2017 NYLT Big Horn leadership teams. Access the staff section for more information and links to the application forms.
Who Should Attend Big Horn NYLT?
Any Scout wishing to perfect their leadership skills. These will help in troop and crew life situations.
In order to attend an NYLT course, a youth must have the following qualifications by the beginning of the course:
- Must be 13 years of age and have not reached their 18th birthday
- Must be at least a First Class Scout
- Must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops
- Must have the recommendation of their Scoutmaster
- Must be at least 14 years old
- Must have completed Crew Officers Orientation
- Must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or Introduction to Leadership Skills for Ships
- Must have the recommendation of the Crew Advisor
- Note: It is advised that Venturer Scout or Sea Scout over the age of 18 should consider taking the Wood Badge Leadership Course in place of Big Horn NYLT.
- He or she must agree to spend the entire scheduled week participating in the Big Horn National Youth Leadership Training Course.
- He or she should have held a leadership position in his or her unit, if possible, or be considering a position in the near future.
- The Scout should be an experienced camper with good camping, hiking, and outdoor cooking skills.
One week in the beautiful mountains at Tahosa High Adventure Base is $295.00 per registrant.
Dates, Scoutmasters and Registrars for Big Horn NYLT 2017
There will be five sessions of Big Horn NYLT in 2017 - three in June and two in July.
|Week 1: Sunday, June 11 - Saturday, June 17, 2017
|Week 2: Sunday, June 18 - Saturday, June 24, 2017
|Week 3: Sunday, June 25 - Saturday, July 1, 2017
|Week 4: Sunday, July 2 - Saturday, July 8, 2017
|Week 5: Sunday, July 9 - Saturday, July 15, 2017
||Session Director: Rick White
Scoutmaster (North): Jim Auslen
Scoutmaster (South): Mike McAteer