What is Big Horn National Youth Leadership Training?
National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) is an exciting, action-packed program designed for councils to provide youth members with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home units and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others.
The Big Horn NYLT Course is leadership training experience sponsored by the Dener Area Council and held annually at Tahosa High Adventure Base near Ward, Colorado. The training is conducted by highly qualified youth staff under the supervision of adult advisors.
The course models a month in the life of a unit. The training consists of six days of Scout activities culiminating in an overnight outpost camp.
Download the Big Horn NYLT flyer...
For more information please contact or email Greg Luer or 303.904.9077.
Who Should Attend Big Horn NYLT?
Any Scout wishing to perfect their leadership skills. These will help in troop and crew life situations.
Are There Opportunities to Serve on Staff?
Yes! Here's a link for those who would like to serve on staff, Big Horn NYLT Staff
In order to attend an NYLT course, a youth must have the following qualifications by the beginning of the course:
Boy Scouts and Varsity Scouts
- Must be 13 years of age and have not reached their 18th birthday
- Must be at lease a First Class Scout
- Must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops
- Must have the recommendation of their Scoutmaster
- Must be at least 14 years old
- Must have completed Crew Officer Orientation
- Must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews
- Must have the recommendation of the Crew Advisor
- It is advised that Venturers over the age of 18 should consider taking the Wood Badge for the 21st Century leadership course in place of Big Horn NYLT.
He or she must agree to spend the entire scheduled week participating in the Big Horn National Youth Leadership Training Course.
He or she should have held a leadership position in his or her unit, if possible, or be considering a position in the near future.
The Scout should be an experienced camper with good camping, hiking and outdoor cooking skills.
Required Parent/Participant Orientation Dates (Need to attend one)
- Big Horn Orientation - Wednesday, April 29, 2015; 6:30pm - 9:30pm
- Big Horn Orientation - Wednesday, May 6, 2015; 6:30pm - 9:30pm
- Big Horn Orientation - Saturday, June 6, 2015; 9:00am - 12:00pm
All orientation meetings will be held at the Denver Area Council, 10455 W 6th Avenue, Denver, CO 80215.
Health Forms - Do Not Mail Them To The Council Office
Health forms are a requirement for Big Horn participants and all staff members. Please download your BSA Health Form (Parts A, B, and C), the Parent Authorization and Immunization Form (Scouts only) and the OTC Med Form. Please mail all completed health forms to the following people asssociated with each week. The 2015 registerars are to be determined in the near future.
One week in the beautiful mountains at Tahosa Camp is $295.00 per registrant.
2015 Big Horn NYLT Dates
- Week 1: Sunday, June 7 - Saturday, June 13, 2015
- Week 2: Sunday, June 14 - Saturday, June 20, 2015
- Week 3: Sunday, June 21 - Saturday, June 27, 2015
- Week 4: Sunday, June 28 - Saturday July 4, 2015
- Week 5: Sunday, July 5 - Saturday, July 11, 2015
Scoutmasters for Big Horn NYLT 2015